1. Optimize Your Online Shopping
It’s easy to earn extra miles (in addition to regular miles for using your credit card) most of the time you shop online. Start at EV Reward – they’ll give you a list of mileage earning and cash back opportunities for many retailers.
2. Get solar power.
When you sign up for solar power with companies like Energy Plus, you’ll be receiving points for your everyday energy use. You’ll be earning rewards while still receiving the same delivery service from your local utility company.
- Jetblue has partnered with Energy Plus.
- Southwest has partnered with Energy Plus, Everything Energy, and Reliant.
- United has also partnered with Energy Plus, Everything Energy, and Reliant.
3. Attend events.
These types of offers grant miles to those who purchase entertainment and sports tickets through airline partners.
- United is partnered with Score Big and Audience Rewards.
- US Airways offers miles through Audience Rewards.
4. Get Elite Status Bonuses
This is one of the easiest ways to double the number of miles you earn. Try to concentrate all your flying on a single airline, because elite status isn’t just about flight upgrades. Among many other things, it’s about the bonus miles you earn when you fly – often double miles.
- American Airlines AAdvantage elite status
- Delta Airlines Skymiles Medallion
- JetBlue Mosaic Status
- Virgin America Elevate Frequent Flyer Program
- Southwest Airlines A-List Tier
- Etihad Airways Platinum Tier
- United Airlines MileagePlus Premier
If you’re booking hotels and care about airline rewards more than hotel chain points, check out PointsHound. You can earn an unbelievable number of miles in your program of choice for hotel stays – often 3,000 – 5,000 miles per night for hotels in the $200/night range, and they have hotels at all price points. Plus, there are absolutely no strings. Sign up for free here.
6. Rental car bonus miles
The standard 50 or 250 miles per rental car day awards don’t really add up very quickly. But rental car promotion/bonuses do seem to be out there quite frequently, especially with major airlines such as United and Delta. A good example is the Virgin Atlantic Avis promotion. You earn 250 – 1000 Virgin Atlantic miles per day when you use Avis.
7. Take surveys.
This is a great option for those who have extra time on their hands and don’t mind completing surveys. Examples:
- Frontier offers miles through e-Miles and e-Rewards.
- Jetblue offers points through Points For Surveys.
- Southwest is partnered with e-Rewards, e-Miles, and Valued Opinions.
- Spirit has Miles for Thoughts.
8. Online Banking.
Companies such as BankDirect have programs that can help you accumulate thousands of miles for free.
- 1000 miles for opening the account
- 5000 miles for payroll direct deposit
- 2000 miles for using billpay for 12 months
9. Dining rewards.
These programs are a very easy way to earn bonus points, since all you have to do is signup, and you’ll automatically receive the rewards when you use your registered credit card at any eligible restaurant.
- American offers The AAdvantage Dining Program by Rewards Network.
- Delta offers SkyMiles Dining program.
- Southwest has Rapid Rewards Dining.
- Spirit has Free Spirit Dining.
One of the best ways to get more points is to make sure you move points you don’t need into programs where you need them. At Points.com you can sell, trade or exchange points and miles between many programs. This is a great way to liquidate balances from programs that no longer have any value to you or are about to expire. Of course, you can always trade miles and points with other users on FlightNuts.
And you can redeem your loyalty points and miles for more than just travel! Use your Points.com wallet to reward yourself with shopping, dining and entertainment gift cards from retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, iTunes, Macy’s, Starbucks, Cineplex, AMC, Target and many more.
What are some of your favorite ways to earn miles and points? Let me know in the comments section below.